Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Spark!

It was one of those events I was having mixed feelings about…the feeling of excitement mixed with dread. I was about to put myself back out into the world, away from my “safe” people, my rocks, my goto friends with whom I have established amazing relationships. Even though I had these rocks I needed something to get my adrenaline pumping again, I needed to tap into the sleeping giants resting too long in places of familiarity. The event was called “Spark”, I really had no idea what to expect nor if I would come equipped with what I needed. Despite my doubts off I went with Bible in hand, slouchy purse over shoulder, and my feet in case I needed to bolt. It’s not the first time that I have been to a new event with new people but it was the first time in a looong time and I felt like a new student walking into the dreaded lunch room not knowing if I would be welcomed with open arms or if I would quietly shuffle to a corner spot and claim my space as a loner as people stared me down. Okay, so maybe I’m being a little over dramatic but as a single mom that has become a hermit with a handful of handpicked friends I felt just a little naked.

As I learned more about Spark and more about the people in the group a hope restored in me as I realized Spark is just what I needed.  So you may be wondering what Spark is so I’m going to give you the bottom line. Its going from inaction to action to make an impact- even if it’s one baby step at a time. As I was listening to people tell their stories two things struck me. 1.) I’m not the only one with lofty, grandiose ideas 2.) I’m not the only one afraid of carrying them out. This was reassuring and rejuvenating to me as I love that God created us so alike yet so different. To the core of our beings we all want to have a purpose, we all want to mean something in this life yet we all have different ideas of what that looks like and how we can carry those things out which makes everything a God thing.

Before yesterday I was walking around with many ideas in my head but when getting down to the nitty gritty I didn’t want to carry them out because I was too afraid. I’ve been chilling at the shoreline, letting the ideas touch my toes and then walking away. They are put on the back-burner of my brain waiting for a better day. I’m telling myself I will be able when I’m more capable or when I  dissect my ideas a little more. I keep thinking the idea has to sink a little deeper until it can become reality. But spark really ignited a  fire beneath my buttocks to get me moving again. I don’t want to sit on my ideas, to do that would be like sitting on my hands pretending they are not there. I just need to be willing to move, to put my thoughts into action. So with the help of others who are bold enough to share not only their ideas but their baby steps to achieve those ideas I think I’m ready to use what has already been given to me- a God given desire and passion to not only dream up but carry out grandiose ideas for his Glory.

3 comments:

  1. YOu are brave dear one:) GO for it!!! love Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, you are a terrific writer. Somehow, you are even more amazing as a transparent vessel for God's heart to shine through. Thanks for writing! Thanks for yearning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Brian, means alot and thanks for the encouraging words!!!

      Delete