Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pursuing Peace

I always thought that peace was supposed to just come naturally. Yet it doesnt. At least not for me, if I had more peace I would feel more content or at least like I was on the right track. But the more I felt I should have peace the more anxious I became as I searched for answers or my lack thereof. Is this the right relationship? Is this the right job? Why do I feel so discontent? And the questions swarmed around in my head. As usual I was questioning myself instead of asking God for the answers. I was relying on my fickle heart to provide me with some keen insight which would be absolutely confident one second and completely insecure the next. I wonder why I waste my time on my fleshy thoughts and don't spend more time in the word.

"I sought the Lord and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4.

I recently discovered this passage and have been addicted. There is so much good stuff packed into this Psalm especially regarding peace. "Turn from evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it." Psalm 24:14. So God is telling me to seek and pursue peace. Its not going to be a natural feeling that I wake up with in the morning. I have to actually put some work in to develop peace. I have to daily lay down my fear, doubt, and anxiety and pursue peace with intention.

This whole idea has been really reassuring to me because I now know for one I'm not insane for feeling like a crazy mess of emotions sometimes and secondly excited to know that peace is actually ottainable if I do seek it and don't expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment