Thursday, January 5, 2012

Beauty

I don't know if it's just me but there seems to be this constant obsession with beauty. it's like a race to be wanted and noticed and I have to admit that I get way to caught up with this obsession myself. I find it especially distracting because I'm still single and wanting to meet the right person. I get a lot of those if only thoughts. If only I could lose a few extra pounds, if only my nose wasn't that of a roman italian, if only I looked really good in leggings, if only, if only, if only….

It's no wonder that I feel this way when everywhere I look I'm bombarded with ways to look better and be "what a man really wants". I don't think we can pick up a magazine anymore at the grocery store without seeing something on the cover about self improvement. So today this got me really thinking about beauty and what I take for granted while trying to achieve it.

As I was pondering my insecurities and how I wish I could look like Gisele Bundchen a powerful truth hit me right in my roman Italian nose, I'm taking for granted the beauty God has given me. While I'm out chasing a beauty that is fleeting and in vain I forget the beauty that dwells in me that no one else has. The Lord created each of us with a unique purpose, we are not cookie cutter images of each other. Seriously, how beautiful is it that?

We are not meant to be like anyone else. Our beauty is attained as we become what we were intended for. This is not a shallow beauty that merely wants to look good on the outside but this is a fully formed beauty that is developed through trials, tears, forgiving, being forgiven, failures and triumphs.

I don't want cheap beauty that appears to have it all together. I want transparent and life changing beauty to dwell in me. Jesus gives us freely the most beautiful things. Love, grace, forgiveness, friendship, and life. It's up to us to see the beauty in all he has given us and use it for his purpose.




When we get distracted by trying to achieve wordly beauty remember this heavenly truth




I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well


Pslam 139:14


New International Version

No comments:

Post a Comment