Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Planting Roots

We each have our foundation upon which we grow, where we choose to plant our roots. For a long time I was an overturned tree with roots hanging out, swaying in the breeze, I didn’t know where I wanted to belong. I wanted to be a rebel, I didn’t want anyone to tell me where I should invest my life or time. So I did what I wanted, paved my own way, and found myself at the end of myself and longing for more and more of something. My own ways were fun for a while but led to disappointment, pain and a constant thirst for more.

I became so thirsty I started to root parts of myself here and there hoping to be filled. Sometimes it was in fleeting relationships, vanity, department stores, long nights out on the town, and sometimes it was just in the sad places of my mind where I told myself I can’t be the person I want to be. Thankfully there were other parts of me that knew about Jesus and believed in him. There were people who shared the love of Jesus with me from a young age and never did my heart forget that. Little by little I yanked out the roots I misplaced and planted them to be built up in what I was taught because the yearning was always the same and I knew all I wanted was more of Jesus.

Silly me thought that living  a free life was doing as I pleased not being grounded in anything but that was nothing but a letdown. God created me to have a life that has meaning and to be rooted in good things. He has these amazing plans for us to flourish and branch out so others can know about the love he has for everyone. I’m finding more and more that being a Christ follower is brave and it allows me to hope for things greater than I can see. It also gives me courage to be there for others who were like me doing life on their own aching and thirsting for more.

My roots are being built up in him giving me the strength to keep growing towards a full life.



"Rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness" Colossians 2:7

"For he satisfies the thirsty, and fills the hungry with good things.” Psalm 107:9



No comments:

Post a Comment